Primary ContactSandy Vold - County Assessor
20 SE Second St
Ortonville, MN 56278
Phone: (320) 839-6360
Fax: (320) 839-6370
Property Tax Information
A sales listing of properties is available in Excel format through a link on the Assessor's page.
Property tax information is available by linking to the Public GIS.
Information available there:
- Estimated Market Value
- Aerial Maps
- Assessor Field Sheet Information
- Most Building Photos and Drawings
- Property Tax Statements for Multiple Years
If you need help with the features available on the GIS website, please call the Assessor's Office at (320) 839-6360. We will be happy to assist you.
The Department of Revenue is excited to announce that the general Property Tax Fact Sheets have gone through the Department of Revenue’s plain language project and the updated versions are now posted on their website. DOR FactSheet
GIS Web or Mobile Access
Anyone can use our Public Access GIS web site to view basic information within Big Stone County, including tax information, high resolution imaging, and more. Public GIS web view
Beginning October 1, 2014, all certificates of real estate value must be submitted using eCRV. County and city offices will no longer accept paper copies of the Certificates of Real Estate Value, except for sales that have occured before October 1, 2014.
Visit the Minnesota eCRV web site
Services and Responsibilities
The Assessor’s Office directs, plans and supervises the appraisal and recording of all property assessments in Big Stone County, as prescribed by Minnesota Statutes and the directives of the Commissioners of Revenue, in order to provide an equitable and efficient system of property appraisal for tax purposes.
Specific duties include:
- Locating property within the County and determining which properties are subject to taxation.
- Determining the use of each property and assigning a classification based on that use.
- Determining which properties qualify for homestead exemptions.
- Determining present market value of each property and calculating the tax capacity based on its classification.
- Notifying taxpayers annually of the classification and market value of their property.